From: Gerard Madden, SE [mailto:gmse4603(--nospam--at)gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 03, 2006 2:16 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Definition of Pier in ACI 530-02

Piers are generally for thin elements like walls of concrete or cmu. THis is more of a column with the dimensions in both directions being fairly close. See UBC/CBC section 1921 for the wording they use. The oddball part of your thing is the length is only 30" high, therefore its a pedestal. If it were taller, then it would just be a column.

If it's less than 3x it's thickness, it's a column
If it's greater than 6x it's thickness, it's a shearwall
If it's height is greater than 5x it's length, then its a column again.

Think of a 4 foot stretch of a wall that's 6-8" thick, that's a pier or "Wall Pier" in this case

-gm