Re: Light Column Tables in MSC 13th Ed

Jordan,

I had the same question just like yours.

In the LRFD 3rd edition, the column table ended at W10x33. No W8 columns listed at all!  Now that OSHA requires 4-bolt connections at the baseplate, you have a very large base plate to work with.

The 13th ed lists the HHS as compression member to HSS2x2.  A HSS3.5x3.5x0.25 is good for 16 kips at 18' feet (ASD).  It weights about 10.5 plf.  Say the material price double over a W8, it is still cheaper than a W8x31.

My problems are in review of old existing buildings, I had to prepare my own calculations because the Fy=36 ksi not the same and the smaller shapes are not listed in the tables.

HTH

Sam