spreading wheel load on a single span slab next to isolation joint.

I have to respond to a question by a contractor's engineer whom is reviewing someone else's work.  The question is about a removable lid spanning over a utilidor under a road having adequate reinforcement.

I found in a text book where it said AASHTO allows you to spread a wheel load out perpendicular to a slab span the lesser of 7' or 4+.06*SPAN.  Does this apply even when a wheel load occurs directly adjacent to an isolation joint in a slab?  The slab in question works if you can spread the wheel load over this distance.