Shoring on cantilevered retaining walls

Hi
I'm working on a garage that is dug into a hillside lot.  This is a single family residence.  I can't slope the cut at 1:1 without crossing the property line. The depth of cut is about 10 ft. A concrete contractor suggested embeding W8x13 steel beams @ 24" oc into the back side of an enlarged heel of the retaining wall footing.  then placing plywood on the back side to retain the dirt.  I can make the calcs work for this but is there a better way to do this?
thanks for suggestions

Tim Rudolph
Pinyon Engineering