Corbels

Regarding the primary tension reinforcement in corbels,

ACI 318-02, 11.9.6 prvoides requirements for anchoring the primary tension reinforcement.  Item (b) states "By bending primary tension bars As back to form a horizontal loop"

The AASHTO LRFD Bridge Design Specifications (3rd Edition) 5.13.2.4.1 says in the commentary that the anchorage for developing reinforcement may include:  "Bending the primary bars down to form a continuous loop"

The way that I read this is that ACI requires a continuous loop in the horizontal plane while AASHTO requires the continuous loop to be in a vertical plan.  Am I reading these sections correctly?  Does each method offer some advantage over the other?

FWIW, I need to develop the primary tension reinforcement without welding, so the structural weld to a transverse bar is not an option for my application.

TIA,

David Finley
M. David Finley, P.E., P.A.
2086 SW Main Boulevard - Suite 111