MASONRY: Epoxy Adhesive Embedment into Grouted Cells

Bill,

Check out Tables 9 & 13 of the report that you referenced (ER-5193).

Randall H. Collier, P.E.

From: Polhemus, Bill [mailto:BPolhemus(--nospam--at)wje.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 10, 2006 12:31 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: MASONRY: Epoxy Adhesive Embedment into Grouted Cells

I’ve got kind of a weird case, here, and I’m not sure what I ought to specify.

We’ve got an 8” CMU wall where the lower three or four courses are grouted solid to form the stemwall of a strip foundation. The remainder of the wall is grouted only in the reinforced cells, every 32 inches.

The building is a single-story “big box store” type. We need to add some vertical reinforcement in the wall, from bottom to top, actually through the bond beam and up to the top of the parapet. This will include epoxying bars into the solid-grouted cells at the base of the wall.

The building code is IBC 2003. I was looking at using Hilty HIT HY-150 adhesive. However, looking at the Evaluation Report (CLICK HERE), for reinforcement it only covers embedment into concrete. It does cover embedded items into grouted masonry, but only anchor-rods and various other embedments, NOT reinforcement.

I’m rather loathe to specify the HIT HY-150 without a SPECIFIC Evaluation Report application documented. Does anyone have any insights to offer? Are there other products I might specify that WOULD be covered by a code ER?

mailgate.winkinc.com made the following annotations
Attention: The information contained in this message and/or attachments is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any views, opinions, or thoughts expressed in this email reflect those of the sender, and do not necessarily express those of the company. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any system and destroy any copies. Thank you. ---------------------------------------------------------------------