From: Will Haynes [mailto:gtg740p(--nospam--at)gmail.com]
Sent: Sat 8/12/2006 12:46 PM
To: seaint
Subject: Level of Detailing

I wanted to get a rough estimate of the level of detailing some of you are putting into your drawings. I have worked at a couple of different places where there was a general acceptance of the level of detailing that should go into our drawings. Some places were kind of low where others were very high. However, there was always at least one person that was on the very low end of the standard and one that would almost drive you to insanity with his/her level of perfection.

On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being the minimal amount of detailing to get by (which also normally results in a lot more RFI's being generated and field problems), and 10 being anal retentive to the max (where it takes twice as long to detail a project), how would you rate yourself or others you work with? Also, what do you feel the goal should be?

I guess that the person that is on the high or low end would actually not see himself as being that way. Right now, I feel like I am about midway. I try to show the critical details on a project and note the structurally important nuances. However, I don't address every possible thought that might come into a contractor's mind during construction, and all of my text does not have to line up perfectly either. I usually make budget too.

I know this is kind of subjective and depends on your client and what the standard is in your area.

Will

<<winmail.dat>>