Re: Level of Detailing

Thanks, I think that will give me what I need.

Will

On 8/13/06, Carter, Charlie <carter(--nospam--at)aisc.org> wrote:
The Council of American Structural Engineers (CASE) provides a guideline document that addresses much of what has been discussed here. I'm not sure how to translate it to the 1-to-10 scale that has been used in this discussion, but I think it gives excellent guidance, often with supporting discussion about why something is recommended (or not recommended). I've pasted in the description from the CASE web site below.

The document is CASE 962D "A Guideline Addressing Coordination and Completeness of Structural Construction Documents". CASE sells it for $30 members/$60 non-members.  See the following link:

I know many of the people who participated in writing this guideline document, and they are all top-notch. It is well worth the money. And if your company is not already a member of CASE, have a look at the CASE portion of the ACEC web site and see what great work they are doing.

Perhaps you will be moved to join so you can benefit from it.

Charlie

********
CASE 962D description:

Since the mid 1990's, owners, contractors, and design professionals have expressed concern about the level of quality of structrual construction documents. They have observed that the quality of these documents has deteriorated, resulting at times in poorly coordinated and incomplete design drawings. Inadequate and/or incomplete design drawings often result in inaccurate competitive bids; delays in schedule; a multiplicity of requests for information (RFIs), change orders and revision costs; increased project costs; and a general dissatisfaction with the project.

In an effort to address these concerns, the Council of American Structural Engineers (CASE) has prepared this Guideline. This book discusses the purpose of this guideline, the background behind the issue, the important aspects of design relationships, communication, coordination and completeness, guidance for dimensioning of structural drawings, effects of various project delivery systems, document revisions, and closes with recommendations for development and application of quality management procedures. A Drawing Review Checklist is attached.