RE: Level of Detailing

Gary:

Unfortunately, in small and medium sized projects, that is often the way of
the world.

These guys are all trying to save a buck and they hire un or under qualified
goof balls
To act as GCs or CMs...

One of my favorite stories was about an eight unit building we did in
Chicago.

The design was very modern; lots of cantilevered balconies and overhangs.

One day, we get a call from the field:

"Get out here quick!...all of the balconies are sagging 4 inches!!!"

We run out to the jobsite, all the finishes are up and indeed, the balconies
are deflecting 4 inches.

We meet the owner's "project superintendent" on one of the cantilevers...

The project engineer from my firm and I look at each other for a minute...

I ask, "Yikes, that's a lot of deflection, how did those moment connections
turn out??? Did you have any difficulty?"

"Moment connections?...what's that?"

Sure enough, after removing the flooring and drywall, you could see that the
steel erector only installed the bolts connecting the webs and did not
perform the flange welds.

Neither the steel "erector" nor the project super had ever worked on a
building with
Moment connections before.

I asked the architect about this...why the developer would hire such people
to build
Such a complex building...

"Yeah, that's the owner for you....Champaign tastes and beer money!"

David L. Fisher SE PE
Senior Director
Fisher+Partners Structural Engineers - Cayman

372 West Ontario Chicago 60610
319 A Street Boston 02210

312.573.1701
312.573.1726 facsimile