Re: More on level of Detailing

Erik,
My first job out of school was similar to yours...  I started out doing remodels and additions to nicer homes.  Then, I worked up to custom single-family homes and live-work lofts.  Some on pancake flat lots, most were hillside construction.  At the very least, our office provided the gen'l struc notes and typ details, the framing plans, and at least one sheet of details per framing/foundation plan.  Even on the little additons and remodels.
Maybe most of it was CYA, or working in a high seismic area (Calif), or a combination of the two.  At the very least, there weren't a whole lot of questions/RFI's issued during construction because a lot of it was covered initially.
There is no guarantee that a contractor will read the gen'l notes.  We had notes to refer the GC to the Nailing Schedule in the UBC.  After a few site visits to different jobs, no contractor had a copy of the UBC, let alone where to look for such a nailing schedule.  We basically reprinted the table onto our drawings after that.
Of course, as others have mentioned, there needs to be balance of how much detail to put into a project and how much the fee covers.
DT, SE
SF, CA

erik gibbs <erik.gibbs(--nospam--at)gmail.com> wrote:
I am curious as to the number of detail sheets that other engineers send out for a job. I work for a small engineering company and our work consists of large custom homes and smaller commercial bldgs. For example say that you had a 2 story single family home with a total floor area of around 6-8000 sf. In general how many detail sheets would you use?

We have 2 general details and the PE realy does not like it when I draw specific details. I am just trying to get a sense of what I should be doing because this is the first job I have had out of school.

Do you Yahoo!?