Re: Level of Detailing

Fellow engineers,

       Gary's reply (shown below) is very good.  I would, however like to
modify it slightly and add a little flavor of my own.

       As I see it the level of detailing depends on a number of things.
Some of these are:
1) The type of project.
2) The purpose of the drawings.
3) The requirements of "The Authority Having Jurisdiction".
4) The relationships between the involved parties (Owner, Client,
Contractor, Yourself, Etc.)

1)     By type of project I would consider new, addition, and renovation to
subdivide Gary's classifications.  For additions and/or renovations, for
example, The information required to provide a high level of detailing may
require selective demolition which may not be practical for an occupied in
service project.  The details simply must wait and be provided later as
addendums.

2)     For purpose of the drawings I am thinking of permit applications,
public hearings, pricing, for construction, etc.  The public don't want any
detail whatever presented at a public hearing; that is not the case for
fabricators during construction.

3)     Requirements of "The Authority Having Jurisdiction" differ widely
from place to place.  In California, for example, I understand, all
connection details and all cladding fasteners are to be shown on the
structural drawings.  In Alberta that is not the case.  In Alberta that sort
of information is provided on shop drawings submitted to the EOR for review.
Whether shop drawings are stamped by an engineer is generally governed by
the terms of the contract, hence, most architects and EORs require stamped
shop drawings.  Which system is best is difficult to determine since neither
of us have very many structural failures.

4)     The relationships between the various parties is probably more
important than many realize.  The answers to some questions may affect the
level of detailing required.  Are you providing full engineering services or
providing a "second opinion" for an architect who does not legally require
engineering services?  Do you know the contractor well or is it a public
tender where any Joe with a $50.00 deposit can take out a set of drawings
and bid the job?  Are you contracted to carry out site reviews or full
resident engineering services?

       I think the fee for the job is irrelevant in determining the amount
of detail required on the drawings.  Even if you do the job free you are
still responsible for doing it right.  If a litigation develops the courts
will not give any consideration whatever to the fee you charged!!

Regards,

H. Daryl Richardson

----- Original Message ----- From: "Gary Loomis" <gloomis(--nospam--at)MasterEngineersinc.com>