Re: RE: More on level of Detailing

This has been my biggest problem. Some architects and most "designers" come in with pretty pictures and expect me to make the thing constructible. I have tried contract clauses requiring what I deem to be essential architectural information, i.e. building elevations, sections, etc.., in an attempt to push them to visualize the design a bit and control changes down the road to protect myself from the scenario you mention. I am typically accused of being unreasonable.

Does anyone else require a specific amount of architectural info upfront?

Michel Blangy

As an Architect, I think you should stick to your guns and require the Architect to at least understand his own building before giving it to you. I don't expect my engineer to do my work, and I don't expect to have to do his.  That takes some additional time, but works out well for both.

Typically, I'll meet with my engineer and work out vertical loading, shear, drag or diaphram issues at the prelim stage, and we will settle on a structural system and some generic sizing of vertical and lateral loads before I ever get to Design Development. That way, I know if I need something trick early on and can either design my way out of it or embrace it and run with it.  How Architects can design past the prelim stage without structural input is a mystery to me.

Don

Don