Re: More on level of Detailing

I was going to warn about starting a fight over copyright and codes, but thought better of it.

Actually, reproducing the tables verbatim could be considered violation, as long as the tables were not taken from any other work that has been exclusively licensed. However, if you reformatted and presented the data to your company standard, there would not necessarily be a copyright violation. What you are presenting is data, and data (facts) cannot be copyright. The format may be, hence the first sentence. Note that I'm using data and facts interchangeably, and that's probably playing a bit fast and loose with the legal definition. Of course, if you created a schedule of fasteners which merely complied with the code (but did not mirror it), that would likely also pass muster. Do you have a copy of an old state-owned code (ie public domain) code with similar data? Can you alter that to meet the code? That would be a prime way around the copyright issue.

(A side note: you have to reiterate some part of the code to comply with it, for example: listing the live loads for the building. By using the code language and psf values, are you violating the copyright? That would be absurd. Then again, so is most current IP law.)

Jordan

Rhkratzse(--nospam--at)aol.com wrote:
I've seen this done and always wondered about the copyright issues involved.  Does anyone have a handle on them?

Ralph Hueston Kratz, S.E.
Richmond CA USA