RE: Reposting "Error in Table 10-14 of Aisc 13th Edition ?"

I didn’t actually see this until Roger’s reply. Maybe our new spam filter was discriminating against you Vish.

Roger is correct about our Solutions Center. But I will look into this one today and post a reply.

Charlie

From: Roger Davis [mailto:sds_rdavis(--nospam--at)yahoo.com]
Sent: Friday, August 18, 2006 7:41 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Reposting "Error in Table 10-14 of Aisc 13th Edition ?"

You should send your question to solutions(--nospam--at)aisc.org . You will get a quick response and thorough response. It is great when Charlie answers question on this list because so many people get to see the answers but he doesn't have time to follow the list all the time or to get to involved with question and answer sessions.  The help desk at AISC is there just for the purpose of answering questions like yours. It would be great if you got an answer from them and shared your new knowledge with the rest of us.

Roger Davis

SDS Architects, Inc.

G Vishwanath <gvshwnth(--nospam--at)yahoo.com> wrote:

I posted this on Aug 14.
There was no response from any one.
I am posting this again.
Will someone please respond?
Charlie are you there?

Regards
Vish
======

Kind Attention: Charlie Carter /Scott Melnick of AISC.

Thanks to all at Aisc for the great new 13th Edition.
I simply loved it.

Here's something I noticed.

See page 10-14 (All bolted double angle connections)
For 11 rows of 3/4" dia A490 SC OVS holes for 1/4"
thick clip angle the table lists a capacity of 80 kips
only under the green ASD column.

I feel this is a printing mistake.
Shouldn't it be 180 kips ?

Please confirm.

If I am right, please let me know if this and any
other error has been noticed and an "Errata" has been
issued recently.

In any case, I am sure this error would not have
affected any one so far.
This combination (11 rows of 3/4" dia A490 SC Class B
OVS with 1/4" clip angle is higly unlikely to have
been used by any one).

If I am wrong, and the value of 80 kips is indeed
correct, I would welcome an explanation of why it is
so low for this case only when compared to values
listed on other pages and also when compared to the
blue LRFD values listed alongside.

Regards
Vish