Composite Floor conventions

I've been out of the office for awhile, so this is an old issue, but I
figure some may be interested in the answer.

According to the Specification the minimum stud spacing is 6 stud
diameters (which for a 3/4" diam. stud gives 4.5" minimum spacing). The
12" spacing value is therefore not a Code requirement, however it is a
practical limit for beams since the spacing of ribs in the metal deck is
12" o.c. for most decks. If you specify studs with a spacing closer than
12" for beams where the deck is perpendicular to the beam, the
contractor will have to cut (or smash) the deck in order to accommodate
the closer spacing of studs. Note that if the deck is skewed with
respect to the beam the spacing between ribs as they cross the beam
becomes even greater than 12" o.c., so this also needs to be considered.
Some of the 1.5" decks - for example VERCO B Formlok and VULCRAFT 1.5VL
- have 6" rib spacing, so for those decks you could specify a 6" stud
spacing if necessary (when the deck is perpendicular), although those
decks aren't commonly used since they generally require closer beam
spacing. For girders, since the deck is parallel, the rib spacing
doesn't impact the placement of the studs so the studs can be placed as
close as the Code permits, 6 stud diameters o.c.

Some engineers specify, as a rule of thumb, a maximum spacing of 12"
o.c. In my opinion this is unnecessary (and somewhat uneconomical), but
it does eliminate the need for puddle welds. The code requires that,
when the deck is perpendicular to the beam, the deck be attached to the
beam with either puddle welds or studs at a maximum spacing of 18" o.c.;
since the ribs are 12" o.c., this effectively requires that the deck be
attached to the beam at every 'trough'. It also probably simplifies
inspection of stud placement to require a stud in every 'trough'.

Also, as has been indicated, the RAM Structural System calls out the
total number of studs required on the beam (and it also considers the
rib spacing as discussed above).

Allen Adams, S.E.
Chief Structural Engineer
RAM International