From: dave lowen
Sent: Sunday, August 20, 2006 11:55 AM
Subject: RE: Re: Level of Detailing - round 2

I spent a little time doing an informal survey of estimators, PM?s, draftsmen, shop and field people and found that about one in six owned a scale. Most of the younger people had never bought one. Some of the folks that owned one said they seldom used it, some said they never did, one said his is in a drawer somewhere at home.

One of the reasons I was given for this is that although a majority of architects and engineers specify scales on every plan, view, section and detail, there is also a covering note that the drawings are not to be scaled. I would suggest those that practice this to not waste money putting the scale on the drawings.

Another reason is that many people who use your drawings have new furniture that does not lend itself to the massive drawing sizes some firms use so they have them plotted no larger than 24 x 36 which makes the scale redundant.

My work is initially drawn to scale as Will suggests but all drawings are noted ?do not scale?. My reason for doing this is to cover any subsequent changes where only the dimensions and not the picture are changed. This is not laziness on my part, it is economics.

Regards,

Dave Lowen

V 519 587 5797

F 519 587 5138