Re: Level of Detailing - round 2

On Aug 21, 2006, at 7:47 AM, Jim Getaz wrote:

Around here the estimators scale all the time on architectural drawings, because they do not provide the information that Christopher Wright lists as required on their drawings.
I may have forgotten to mention it, but I'm a mechanical engineer--the structures I do involve machinery. My lot is a little more particular about dimensioning and material call-outs, judging by the nuke plant spent fuel pool drawings I've seen.

And then we explain all that we intend to do in our proposals to the GCs/owners/CMs, because otherwise there is just the confusion the Christopher describes. Yet we still get architects that say, “The design intent has always been….”
The thought that some welder is going to sit down for a couple of hours and figure out the 'design intent' is lunacy. You tell the fabricator what you want and you put dimensions on it so you can determine that you've got it. Simple as that. If you don't tell someone what you want you're pretty much stuck with what you get.
http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw/