Seismic Joint + ETABS

Greetings,

I am modeling/designing a 800 ft long, 3 story parking garage/retail space for Seismic Design Category D for a project in Trinidad.

We have 3 expansion joints on the building which is being modeled in Etabs. I was wondering what was the best way to go about modeling the same? Using a XY roller is an option, but I was interested to know if there are more accurate ways of modeling the same, since we are trying to get the moments/forces at the joint as well.

I would appreciate if you can provide any insights into how seismic joints are handled in the west coast.

Thanks
Anantha

ANANTHA NARAYAN, E.I.
Structural Engineer
Bliss and Nyitray Inc.
Miami, FL - 33134

Copy addresses and emails from any email account to Yahoo! Mail - quick, easy and free. Do it now...