RE: Getting Windoze 2000 to Accept "Smart Ring"

Thor

I believe this is a function of you modem or your fax machine. For example, I have my older Brother plain paper fax set up because it has a built in voice/fax circuit. When it goes into answer mode, the fax machine listens for the fax tone then will switch between fax or send all other signals to the answering machine. The same line can be connected to a broadband connection, but the broadband signal operates parallel to the phone signal so regardless of the connection, the broadband is not interrupted.

If you have a built-in modem and use fax software then it is a question not of the software but of the modem. It is here that any “smart ring” will be recognized or another means to interpret he signal is used.

It’s my understanding that almost all new modem cards, external modems or all-in-one scanner/printer/fax machines have built in settings to differentiate between tone/voice/ and fax.

I think you are simply looking in the wrong place for your answers and if his is an older machine, you might want to check Belkin for a fax/voice switch that installs in the line.

Hope this was accurate. I don’t have a dedicated fax line and am with Verizon for my business phone. My Brother fax machine determines if he call is voice or fax and route he call to either my fax machine, voice mail or telephone ringer. Nothing is required of mine except proper maintenance the computer and components.

One last possibility I did not mention is the automatic wakeup if you have a built in modem or LAN tied to a router where the computer is set to shut down or go into sleep mode if not connected to an active signal such as keyboard use or mouse use. In this case, the motherboard setup, if it has the feature, can be awakened in response to the LAN signal. You have to set this in the motherboard setup. It will look for a signal such as a telephone ring to wake up and then go into action. This is a feature of you motherboard manufacturer and onboard bias settings so when logging on click on either the del key or the F2 function key (as recommended by your computer manufacturer or motherboard instructions if you purchased a newer motherboard. Once you have set up the chipset, you can follow the instructions for your modem, fax card or you fax machine.

An additional thought – if you right click on the desktop screen and choose the last tab associated to your Windows power options features. If your motherboard supports hibernate mode, you probably should not use this feature since you can’t wake up from hibernate then you can set the power features to shut off or simply to go into standby mode. I believe that standby mode can be awaken, but once you set the software to go into setup code, you will need to identify the wakeup signal in the motherboard setup generally under the LAN or network settings. If you don’t have a book for the motherboard, you should be able to obtain a copy from the manufacturers website.

I hope this will help you.

Best Regards,

Dennis