RE: Getting Windoze 2000 to Accept "Smart Ring"

Dennis:

While you might be correct that a fax modem, etc would may dictate whether
or not it supports something like the distinctive ring feature, it would
still require some sort of software to tell the hardware what to do with a
distinctive ring.

Have you ever used a distinctive ring (aka "smart ring")?  If you have
not, it is basically a second ring pattern that is used on a single line
that allows a second phone number to be used with that line.  The idea is
that the second phone number has a different sounding ring so that a
person (or a fax machine) knows that the call is for/from the second phone
number.  As such, you need to have some way for the fax hardware to "know"
that when the distinctive ring pattern happens, that it needs to pick-up
and start the receiving the fax "process".  In the case of a fax machine,
this is done by settings on the machine (i.e. no software involved).  In
the case of some sort of computer based fax system (i.e. fax modem), then
since you don't have a bunch of buttons to change settings, you must have
some sort of software to change the settings.  In otherwords, if the
hardware is not told what to do with a distinctive ring, then it won't do
anything.  And usually, when you set a fax machine (and I assume fax
modem) to answer faxes on the distinctive ring, then it will not answer
faxes on a regular ring (i.e. it is different than that ability of some
faxes to differentiate between a voice call and fax call, but kind of
serves a similar function)...at least I believe that was how my fax
machine was when I had a distinctive ring setup a couple of years ago.

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI