To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Sent: Tuesday, August 22, 2006 7:59 AM
Subject: Re: Drafting Standards - Grid Layout

=====================
From: Marc Mitchell <mitchell.marc(--nospam--at)gmail.com>
Date: 2006/08/22 Tue AM 12:38:29 CDT
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Drafting Standards - Grid Layout

What is the standard convention for laying out grids on a plan? i.e. do the numbers go top to bottom and letters left to right or vice versa? I have looked in the Architectural Graphic Standards book by Ramsey but could not find a reference and it appears that various engineers and architects do it both ways.

I've used many conventions, but in the end, none of it matters. This reminds me of my arguments with the head of production who would admonish me that dimension tick marks must always go top-left to bottom-right for horizontal dims, (hand-drafting hell for lefties).

I use what gets across the most clarity. For instance, I will sometimes use Grids entitled NS-1, NS-2, etc. to indicate north/south grids and EW-1, EW-2 the other direction. But I've used A-B-C, 1-2-3 on simpler plans as well.

I believe the original tradition was numbers for vertical grids and letters for horizontal. But you'll need to quiz an old SOM employee to find out for sure.

DON