Sloped Continuous Footing

Title: Sloped Continuous Footing

We have a project where our customer would like to use a cantilevered retaining wall with a longitudinally sloped footing.  I noticed that the 2003 IBC allows for a sloped footing as long as it is less then 10% (1 in 10).  Most of the retaining wall will be 6 to 8 feet tall but portions may be up to 10 to 15 ft.  Does any one know of a code or sound engineering explanation why a sloped footing (<10%) would be unacceptable (I agree it's not proffered)?  Project is located in the Puget Sound Region of Washington State which has fairly high seismic risk.

Regards,
Seth W. Cutler, PE
Silverdale, WA