Re: Level of Detailing - round 2

On Aug 22, 2006, at 12:26 AM, Mark Gilligan wrote:

The drawing was perfectly to scale but the
erection drawings were second rate and not all that
helpful.
I rest my case. I'm doing the same kind of review at the moment. Perfectly to scale, but the organization is so bad that even the designers can't figure out what's actually going on.

People forget that the goal is to communicate.
Sometimes that means distorting the drawing.
You can take that to the bank. If a distorted detail with a NTS note makes something clearer it's better practice than a scale detail that's confusing.

The nearest I ever had to a mentor hammered me for years with his definition of engineering: 'The process of communicating instructions based on physical and mathematical principles by which artisans can take materials found in nature and give them a specific usefulness.' Even with a co-op background it took me a while to realize what Ray was talking about: communication. Everything we do is communication, and if we don't do it succinctly and unambiguously everyone loses. I think most of the horror stories told on this list (and I've told plenty) have their roots in bad communication.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw/