Sent: Tuesday, August 22, 2006 8:59 AM
Subject: RE: Sloped Continuous Footing

A sloped bearing surface creates a sliding component. This sliding component has to be overcome by friction to remain stable. The 1 :10 maximum slope conservatively allows for adequate friction plus some safety factor for soil with a very low coefficient of friction.

Step footings with level bearing surfaces will eliminate this problem.