Re: Drafting or CAD standards...

Drafting standards are key, if not from a look-and-feel standpoint then for the purpose of reuse of material in the future. My font (we only have one for drawings) is roman simplex, and was chosen because (a) it's easy to read and (b) it's a pre-installed font with Autocad. I was using the Arial TTF for a month or two, but AutoDesk hasn't hired a competent programmer since the late 70s, and their text handling routines are slow and cumbersome with anything but shape files (those on Revit need not respond to the previous sentence).

I'll admit that my standards are mostly unwritten. I have some "cheat sheets" we use for reference, but much of the standards are enforced via templates. Then again, with only two people running cad at any given time, there isn't much coordination to keep track of.

Jordan

Mike Jones wrote:

The grid question reminded me of some other questions I have been
meaning to pose to the list.

How many smaller structural firms (<25 employees) utilize some form of
CAD/drafting standards, if so what was your justification to implement
said standards, i.e. what was the payback or justification for the
trouble of forcing the employees to conform to something other than
their own "standard"?
How about text types, how many people use some form of not so legible
(IMO) "architectural" type font as compared to a legible (IMO) "simplex"
font.

Thank you for your time in this matter.

M.