From: "Truitt Vance" <Truitt(--nospam--at)adVanceEng.net>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: welding HSS to HSS
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 10:49:29 -0700

I am considering using a tube steel section to create a "bent" for a hip
roof that I can't tie horizontally.  The roof is a 20' x 16' hip roof with
heavy tile loads and someone thought it would be nice to have a 5' square
skylight centered in middle. I would put two of these frames on either side
of the skylight in the short direction and then bear the wood framing on
them.  I am trying to use a 7" section, so I think a tube might work the
best.

My question is regarding the welded connections, since you can't access both
sides, how is the best way to weld the butt ends of a tube steel section
together?   I can use tabs if I have to, but I have had this question with
similar situations, so I thought I would ask.

Truitt Vance