From: Harold Sprague [mailto:spraguehope(--nospam--at)hotmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 23, 2006 12:24 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: welding HSS to HSS

There many requirements spelled out in the AWS D 1.1 specifically for
"Tubular Structures".  Some years ago Lincoln Electric published a book
called "Solutions to Design of Weldments".  It has many examples of every
conceivable weldment you can imagine.

If you can get by with a partial pen weld, use it.  If you in fact need a
full pen weld, then show the CJP symbol and let the shop tell you what they
propose to do.  Some shops will apply the root from the bevel side and then
weld in the filler.  Some shops will tack in a backer bar, assemble the
connection and then weld the filler.

The process used should not really matter.  What you need is for the weld to

have NDT to assure you that you indeed have a full pen weld.  I would
suggest that you show a CJP, let the welder do what he wants, and require
NDT inspection.  If the weld is bad, it will have to be redone.  The NDT
guy, the welder, and the welder's mother should all be certified with AWS.
(Just kidding about his mother;>)

Regards,
Harold Sprague

>From: "Truitt Vance" <Truitt(--nospam--at)adVanceEng.net>
>To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
>Subject: welding HSS to HSS
>Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 10:49:29 -0700
>
>I am considering using a tube steel section to create a "bent" for a hip
>roof that I can't tie horizontally.  The roof is a 20' x 16' hip roof with
>heavy tile loads and someone thought it would be nice to have a 5' square
>skylight centered in middle.  I would put two of these frames on either
>side
>of the skylight in the short direction and then bear the wood framing on
>them.  I am trying to use a 7" section, so I think a tube might work the
>best.
>

>My question is regarding the welded connections, since you can't access
>both
>sides, how is the best way to weld the butt ends of a tube steel section
>together?   I can use tabs if I have to, but I have had this question with
>similar situations, so I thought I would ask.
>

>Truitt Vance

Search from any web page with powerful protection. Get the FREE Windows Live

Toolbar Today!   http://get.live.com/toolbar/overview