  In my case, the anchors are bent 3/4" diameter bars (unthreaded). In your opinion, could Chapter 7 apply or would that be a stretch? Since Chapter 7 references A 108 stud material, this could be problematic.

Thanks,
Charlie

In a message dated 8/23/2006 4:23:54 PM Eastern Daylight Time, mmotchos(--nospam--at)sw-sc.com writes:
Actually that is the testing protocol described in AWS D1.1 Chapter 7 for the studs (in addition to visual inspection).  I am not aware of an ASTM.  The goal is for a 30deg angle to be achieved, but it can also be accomplished with a pipe "hickey" instead of a hammer. Threaded studs can be tested based on torque.

HTH

Michelle Motchos, PE
Stevens & Wilkinson of South Carolina, Inc.

Columbia, Sc

From: canitzcf(--nospam--at)aol.com [mailto:canitzcf(--nospam--at)aol.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 23, 2006 12:11 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Fwd: Embedment Plate Welds

 I recall a List post that addressed "field testing" bent anchor bar/headed studs welds to embedment plates with a hammer and some muscle. If the weld failed, then you obviously knew that the weld was NG. Is there a more formal or standard process (ASTM, etc.) available for field testing these welds?

As always,
Thanks in advance

Charles Canitz