From: <bruckmandesign(--nospam--at)verizon.net>
Subject: Shot Pin Boundary Nailing
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org

I just received drawings for a one story big box retail store with a hybrid
roof of Vulcraft joists and panelized roofing.

At one area, the engineer has specified a boundary nailing of 2 lines of
shot pins @ 2 1/2" o.c. into a TS8x2 which is then field welded to a 12" x
12" steel plate w/ (4)3/4" ABs into masonry. (Strangely, there is no callout
for the shank diameter of the shot).

First, although I've not built such a system before so I can't say I'm any
kind of expert in hybrid diaphragms, I've never seen such a detail, and it
just intuitively sounds wierd.  Is this common?  Seems like a difficult way
to achieve a diaphragm transfer to me.

Anyone used such a BN connection?

Don

Fred Turner, Staff Structural Engineer, California Seismic Safety
Commission, a public policy advisory agency, Turner(--nospam--at)stateseismic.com, 1755
Creekside Oaks Dr. #100 Sacramento, CA 95833 Phone: 916-263-5506 Ext. 227 or
916-263-0582 Fax: 916-263-0594