Re: Re:  Shot Pin Boundary Nailing

All good points.  First, I'm not the EOR, heck, I'm not even the architect of record on this one.  I'm the GC. I'm a bit sensitive as the GC making engineering suggestions to this A&E firm even though they don't seem to me to be as terribly diligent or fastidious as I would be under the same circumstances.  I perceive some animosity when I RFI suggestions like, "Have the nail failure modes of the diaphragm nailing in wood vs steel been checked for compatibility?". I'm not sure its not my responsibility to ask that question.

Nevertheless, your point about the potential mis-alignment of the transfer plates IS something I'm going to ponder and perhaps RFI since the means and methods ARE under my purview.

Thanks for the input.

Don

Don - There are potentially two issues of concern with this system.

First, mixing shot pins with a nailed, panelized roof results in a diaphragm
that may have no available test results for its shear capacity. Shot pins in
steel are likely far more stiff and deform differently than nails in wood,
so you may not have a diaphragm that performs reliably once it begins to
yield. You should consider adding a wood nailer to the top of the TS ledger
to create a diaphragm that complies with ICC-ES Reports or diaphragm
configurations in 2306 of the IBC.

Second, the steel plates embedded in masonry walls are invariably going to
be misaligned with eachother unless you can find a perfect mason. So when
the TS is held up to be welded to the plates, there will likely be gaps
between the TS and the plates due to the misalignment and it will be
difficult to fillet or flare bevel across those gaps.

In the 1992 Landers earthquake, a modern big box had a similar embedded
plate detail that contributed to its partial collapse. In essence, the
ledgers were not properly welded to the embeds in the wall due to the gaps
between the ledger and the embeds.  For photos, see page 4 of the Commercial
Property Owner's Guide to Earthquake Safety in the 1998 edition. That pic is
now on the cover of the 2006 edition. FYI, Fred