Subject: RE: Cable Stay Costs
From: "Caldwell, Stan" <scaldwell(--nospam--at)halff.com>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>

Paul:

If you use the Sundial Bridge at Turtle Bay in Redding, California as a guide, your cable-stayed pedestrian bridge should cost about $15.3 Million.  That might not be entirely fair, since the Redding project was designed by Santiago Calatrava and not by Paul Feather.  On the other hand, using the same guide, your fee should be about $1.38 Million (assuming 5% average annual inflation since 1996). =20 The Sundial Bridge spans 217 feet.  It was originally estimated to cost $3.0 Million, but ended up costing approximately $23.5 Million.  That works out to a whopping $108,295 per linear foot.  I hope that everyone walking across this bridge adequately appreciates that each 30 inch step represents well over a quarter million bucks.  In addition, the owner is obligated to forever pay $130,000 annually to maintain, secure, and insure the bridge.  Calatrava's fee for this outstanding edifice, in
1996 dollars, was $1.24 Million.
Regards,
Stan R. Caldwell, P.E.
Dallas, Texas