From: Mueller, Oliver [mailto:Oliver.Mueller(--nospam--at)parsons.com]
Sent: Monday, August 28, 2006 7:22 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Cable Stay Costs

Paul

The Sundial Bridge can not be used as a representative cost. It has some
extraordinary features that increase cost extremely (glass deck, curved
tower base etc.) Or we can maybe use it as an absolute max.
Parsons designed a good looking pedestrian cable-stayed bridge in Salt
Lake City, Utah for the 2002 Winter Olympics. It is the "The Eccles
Legacy bridge".
Span Lengths are 170ft and 120ft. The deck width (out to out) is 22.15ft
--> total deck area = 6423sf.

Total construction cost was about 4 Million. However there was some
extensive landscaping, ramps and elevators. The actual bridge cost was
only about 2.08 Mio.
Average bridge cost = $2,080,000 / 6423sf = $325/sf +-
(These are 2001 Dollars)

To keep in mind is that average bridge cost for pedestrian bridges based
on deck area can vary widely due to different project constraints. And
the deck area is usually small compared with highway bridges where the
"deck area method" is used extensively for first cost estimates. One
important thing is that the bridge engineer is the lead designer and not
the architect. The architect should be in a supporting role only. First
a bridge needs to be designed for functionality and not just looks.
You mentioned something about a curve. I think a curve in a cable-stay
bridge design will also drive your cost up quite a bit.

I love to look at Calatrava designs and he actually has an architect as
well as a structural engineering degree. However lots of things or not
always designed for functionality and he is also notorious for cost
overruns.

If you need anymore info on the Eccles Legacy bridge please contact me
directly.
I would be glad to help out.

Regards,
Oliver Mueller