RE: OSHA Column Requirements

OSHA distinguishes between columns and posts (posts weigh 300 pounds or less).  The (4) anchor bolt requirement applies to columns, but as I see it, does not apply to posts.  Do you have a “column” or a “post”?  Check out the OSHA website for more info.

BDH

From: M. David Finley, P.E., P.A. [mailto:davidfinley(--nospam--at)bizsea.rr.com]
Sent: Monday, August 28, 2006 1:05 PM
To: Seaint(--nospam--at)Seaint.Org
Subject: OSHA Column Requirements

I have a small industrial support structure and I want to have pinned connections (that is, 2-bolt baseplates) in order to avoid transferring overturning moments to the foundations.  Does OSHA provide any exceptions to the 4-anchor bolt column requirement?

David Finley
M. David Finley, P.E., P.A.
2086 SW Main Boulevard - Suite 111
Lake City, FL  32025