Re: OSHA Column Requirements

On 8/28/06, sscholl2(--nospam--at)juno.com <sscholl2(--nospam--at)juno.com> wrote:

my understanding is that 4 bolts are required for erection. It seems that workers lean ladders up against the columns and there have been accidents with the column fallling.

Stan Scholl, P.E.

Laguna Beach, CA

The four bolt rule is indeed for worker safety during the construction process.

Forget about the ladders...they climb columns directly and having only two bolts makes moment resistance in one direction very small.   The accidents involved rigid body rotation of the column...... with the worker either hitting the ground or the column (& tabs) hitting the worker once he landed.

I would suggest sizing the base plate such that you can achieve your "pinned" column condition but still the 4 bolt condition & have enough moment resistance to handle a "fully loaded" Iron worker load........say ~275 lbs @ 2ft?

Removing the bolts after construction is complete could potentially re-create the hazard during a future demolition, repair or retrofit of the structure.

cheers
Bob