RE: Timber retaining wall (railroad tie)

I have designed walls like Paul suggested.  I have also seen some design
information somewhere and may have it in a box stored at home, but I'm not
even sure about that.

There is, however, a wall system that is called a timber crib system.  I
might even have some info about that, but I wouldn't even know where to
start looking.  Below is a link to a Canadian site with a drawing of the
system.  The design I have never done.  Do a google on timber crib retaining
walls and you may find something.

http://www.cwc.ca/applications/landscaping/retaining_walls/timber.php

joe

Joseph R. Grill, P.E. (Structural)