RE: Timber retaining wall (railroad tie)

You can help extend the life of the timber by coating all of the soil contact area with roofing tar or bitumastic coating. Another thing that you can do is backfill as much as possible with a free draining open graded crushed rock.

Regards,
Harold Sprague

From: Brian <bsh117(--nospam--at)yahoo.com>
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Timber retaining wall (railroad tie)
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 16:31:44 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks everyone for your responses!

I see by reading what I could find on the internet,
that this system is not durable.  In fact, most of the
articles are about removing this system due to
rotting, failing or warping of the timber.  However,
the architect wants this type of system for some
reason.  I've already advised him on the life span of
this system and tried to move him towards a keystone
or stacked masonry system.  So far...no budging.
Hopefully, the more I press, the more he'll be apt to
change his mind.

Thanks again!

http://mail.yahoo.com