From: Robert Kazanjy [mailto:rkazanjy(--nospam--at)gmail.com]
Sent: 30 August 2006 09:21
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Drilled Pier/pile-Support is pinned or fixed

Why not just design a pin into the column / pile interface to control the forces the pile sees?

cheers
Bob

On 8/29/06, Ashraf, Mohammed (Qatar) <mohammed.ashraf(--nospam--at)worleyparsons.com> wrote:

Hello All,

I am designing a pile/drilled pier foundation for a building. I want to reduce the support forces so that I can reduce the no. of piles/pier. The columns are almost 20m high. I would like to know whether I can take base as pinned in analysis if I am using singe piles/piers for each column. The pile/drilled piers are around 6 to 10 m deep. The piles/piers here are designed based on skin friction with a pile socket length in rock of 3 to 6m. The rock is of poor quality with RQD (Rock Quality Designation) 0% to 50%. These are from Geotechnical report. I would like to mention that the soil up to 3 to 5m from Pile/Pier head is mainly of hydraulic fill material. N value of top soil varies from 35 to 4. The site is in a reclamation area.

Thanks in advance,

Regards

Ashraf

*** WORLEYPARSONS GROUP NOTICE ***
"This email is confidential.  If you are not the intended recipient, you must not disclose  or  use the  information contained in it.  If you have received this email in error,  please notify us immediately by return email and delete the email and any attachments. Any personal views or opinions expressed by the writer may not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any company in the WorleyParsons Group of Companies."