Splicing heavy timber trusse tension members

I need to recommend a heavy duty splice to strengthen the lower chord of a timber truss.  The design tensile force is about 30kips with full snow load.  The existing 12x12 member has a simple 12" long lap splice with one or maybe two 1" diameter through bolts holding the whole truss together.  (Yikes!)

Adding steel  splice plates with bolts into the wood will meet the load criteria, but I am worried about adding so many holes to the existing - (35) 5 1/2" long 5/8"dia lag bolts each side of the splice.  Through bolts would be stronger, but they are more awkward to install because of confinment issues with the in service condition.

Does anybody have any recommendations from experience with old members like this?

Thanks,
Jim Wilson, PE
Stroudsburg, PA