Re: Heavy line loads on thin slabs on grade

I suggest that you consider using pavement formulas from a highway design book. The capacity depends greatly on the density of the material under the 4" slab. Also the capacity greatly depends on the edge distance.

I will never forget a plan checker who wanted me to do calcs. for a 250# air conditioner which was to sit on top of a non-bearing wall on a slab with no footing under. I did a calc. using pavement analysis and found it would take about 4000#.

Stan Scholl, P.E.

Laguna Beach, CA