From: Robert Kazanjy [mailto:rkazanjy(--nospam--at)gmail.com]
Sent: 31 August 2006 02:06
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Drilled Pier/pile-Support is pinned or fixed

Mohammed-

CalTrans (California Dept of Transpiration)  has details for pinned column bases.  I was part of a project in a structural research laboratory where we actually built 40% scale models (24" diameter) & tested them to failure.

My recollection was the detail was pretty simple and not at all that difficult to construct (we did it with grad student & undergrad labor).

CalTrans likes to keep all the damage above the footing so that damage can be spotted & repaired more easily.  The performance of the pinned joint was quite reliable as I recall.  Unfortunately I do not have a opy of the final report

cheers
Bob