re: file systems

Jordan,
You have gotten some great advice from the other listers, I agree with Scott. Why not have several small holes drilled along the path of the files and have a geotech come out and probe them? Maybe not the most accurate but we are just looking for some ballpark figures here. If you are still worried about the load not being spread out enough how about bolting some HSS members along the rail path to the slab with shallow epoxy anchors and have the file wheel track attached to the top of the HSS? This would get the load spread out a couple feet or so (to the soil below) depending on your assumptions/analysis. And perhaps get something signed by the owner releasing you of cracks in the slab because we cannot accurately predict that (and then throw lawyers under the bus, people usually understand that), but perhaps you can verbally off the record give him some peace of mind.

HTH,
Andrew