Re: Paint for Steel Roof Above Pool

I am working on a similar project but I don't believe the corrosion is as bad as yours. I have talked to a number of paint technicians and the most helpful information came from Sherwin-Williams. There tech support hotline is 800-321-8194.

Roger Davis
Architect
SDS ARchitects, Inc.

Rich Lewis <seaint03(--nospam--at)lewisengineering.com> wrote:
When I reviewed my post I noticed I left out some critical information, Like what I?m concerned abut is the swimming pool below the steel roof framing.  That is what caused the present corrosion.  So here it comes again.

Rich

I am making some evaluations of an old YMCA building that is now a community center.  The building is at least 40 years old.  In the swimming pool room there is a lot of corrosion of the supplementary steel framing, such as window frames and roof deck, but the primary steel beams and columns are in pretty good condition.  The paint has pitted all over the place, but significant rusting of the main steel is relatively minor.

I?m looking for sources of research to determine the best paint coating for the steel.  I will probably recommend the roof decking come off and be replaced.  I will probably recommend the steel beams and columns be cleaned and repainted.  I?m having difficulty finding the information on cleaning and coatings.  My thoughts are power wire brush cleaning, zinc-rich primer as a first coat and a two coat finish paint.  I?ve seen references to three coat paint process using tnemec paint but haven?t found much information on it.

I would appreciate any suggestions for sources of research for the steel paint coating or any other advice you may have regarding this type of project.

Rich

Do you Yahoo!?