Re: Paint for Steel Roof Above Pool

Rich,

The product you need is made by Tnemec, (Tnemec.com).  This is the stuff they use to paint ocean bouys.  Its a bit pricey so you may get some client resistance, but it is, IMO, the best product for that type of use on the market.

Don

When I reviewed my post I noticed I left out some criticalinformation, Like what I?m concerned abut is the swimming pool below thesteel roof framing.  That is what caused the present corrosion.  Sohere it comes again.

Rich

I am making some evaluations of an old YMCA building that isnow a community center.  The building is at least 40 years old.  Inthe swimming pool room there is a lot of corrosion of the supplementarysteel framing, such as window frames and roof deck, but the primary steel beamsand columns are in pretty good condition.  The paint has pitted all overthe place, but significant rusting of the main steel is relatively minor.

I?m looking for sources of research to determine thebest paint coating for the steel.  I will probably recommend the roofdecking come off and be replaced.  I will probably recommend the steelbeams and columns be cleaned and repainted.  I?m having difficultyfinding the information on cleaning and coatings.  My thoughts are powerwire brush cleaning, zinc-rich primer as a first coat and a two coat finishpaint.  I?ve seen references to three coat paint process usingtnemec paint but haven?t found much information on it.

I would appreciate any suggestions for sources of researchfor the steel paint coating or any other advice you may have regarding thistype of project.

Rich