re: foundations for shear walls

Mike,
Feel your pain in FL with wood frame, which is another reason to talk the owner into CMU. A reinforced CMU wall has a nice amount of dead load to help resist the overturning in the shear walls. Not to mention reducing your connection detailing nightmare. (And CMU in my opinion reduces your "real life" liability for future rot, mold, termite, water intrusion, construction errors.)

Don't forget to include some of your dead load from the roof, floors, and upper walls to help resist the overturning. I design these types of footings all the time and put them in Enercalc so I can check it in both directions for combined axial, moment, and uplift effects. Gives you nice diagrams of your soil pressure, and checks for stability and reinforcement required.

Andrew Kester, PE
Principal/Project Manager
ADK Structural Engineering, PLLC
Lake Mary, FL