From: Rich Lewis
Sent: Tuesday, September 05, 2006 2:49 PM
Subject: Glulam Design Source

I?m considering reroofing a building enclosing a pool using glulam construction.  I would use glulam purlins and wood decking.  I would leave the 5 existing main steel girders as they are in fair condition.  A good cleaning and painting should extend their life quite a bit.  I assume glulam decking would be cheaper than solid sawn lumber decking.  Can anyone tell me if that is a correct assumption?  I also assume there must be a way of creating some diaphragm action in wood decking.  I haven?t found any information on this in my wood design references.  Is it possible to create a diaphragm with some kind of side lap nailing pattern, or do I need to put plywood sheathing on top of the wood decking?

I?m wondering what the best reference is for glulam design.  I know the NDS covers glulam.  It doesn?t specifically address decking members but I could work out the numbers on it manually.  I?m wondering if the AITC Timber Construction Manual was worth purchasing for the glulam information.  Has anyone found this to be a helpful reference for glulam design?  Does it discuss diaphragm action of a wood deck roof?  I looked at AITC?s web site for their free literature and didn?t find anything addressing diaphragm action.  Are there any other references that would be better?

Thanks for your help.

Rich

Checked by AVG Free Edition.