To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Sent: Tuesday, September 05, 2006 5:52 PM
Subject: RE: Long Building - How to make stand up?

I doubt the building code will let you go 130' without an area separation (fire) wall. Make the area separation wall a masonry wall, and you will be good to go unless the wall height is very large. It will be a lot of stitch fasteners, but it will work.

You probably will have to divided it into about thirds, in which case the area separation walls will be close enough to where the diaphragm shear loads will work easily.

If that is still a problem, you will have to put the frames in to keep the diaphragm loads manageable.

Regards,
Harold Sprague