RE: Timber Roofs over Swimming Pools

            Rich Lewis wrote, “Previous SEAInt posts have discussed wood as a great solution to

natatoriums.  Some have referenced steel with special corrosion coating. Some have even discussed precast.”

            Rich,

                        We have done a number of prestressed pool covers over the years. We design them so the concrete remains uncracked. A deep section can provide a long span and essentially maintenance-free service. During the season my daughter swims in one every day that was in place long before I came here 21 years ago (no, Bill, I have not done it this way for 27 years, yet).

            Jim Getaz

            Precast Concrete Engineer

            Winchester, Virginia