Re: RE: notched glue-lam

There are companies out there that will come out to in-situ GLBs and refurbish the lams IN PLACE.  I had a dry-rot situation a few years ago and had a company come out and cut out the bad pieces and replace them, along with some added tension side steel rehab truss-rods.  It was easy and relatively painless.  The only downside is that the company knew my other options were few and charged accordingly...

    Don

I'm       hoping Buddy is out there today checking email.  A client has been       tagged by the building department for drilling a hole vertically through a       glue-lam beam and also notching 3/4" out of the bottom, both at       midspan.  The beam is an 8 3/4" x 16 1/2" glue-lam.  If only the       net section is considered (I understand concerns of stress concentrations)       the section is still adequate at about 90% of allowabel bending       stresses.
I       have read both AITC Technical note 19 and APA EWS Technical note on field       notching of glued-laminated beams.  Both these publications prohibit       notching a beam on the tension side except at the support without any       exceptions.
Are       there any ways to look at this other than strictly prohibiting and making       the contractor replace the beam?
By       the way, I tried to send a similar post as this yesterday, but I think we       are having problems at the office, so this I am sending through the net       through my home provider, so if the last post did go through, I appologize       for the duplication.
Joseph R. Grill, PE

******* ****** ******* ******** *******       ******* *** * Read list FAQ at: http://www.seaint.org/list_FAQ.asp * *       This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers * Association of       Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To * subscribe (no fee) or       UnSubscribe, please go to: * * http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp * *       Questions to seaint-ad(--nospam--at)seaint.org. Remember, any email you * send to the       list is public domain and may be re-posted * without your permission. Make       sure you visit our web * site at: http://www.seaint.org ******* ******       ****** ****** ****** ****** ********