From: Dennis Wish [mailto:dennis.wish(--nospam--at)verizon.net]
Sent: Thursday, September 07, 2006 5:41 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Cc: akester(--nospam--at)cfl.rr.com
Subject: RE: storefront wall

I recently wrote about the new SidePlate™ product from MiTek™ industries. I have not seen it posted, so I would appreciate if someone would let me know whether my e-mail has reached the list.

With regard to Andrew’s response to Flagpole construction, as long as the SidePlate™ moment frame is used without being combined in the same line with more rigid shear elements and remains the only shear resisting element, the user is not penalized by a lower R value and the frame can be designed with an R value (according to the 97 UBC) ranging from 4.5 to 8 depending on how it is designed whereas the cantilevered columns are to be adjusted for an R of 2.2 per the UBC (and similar in ICC codes).

This gives an advantage to the SidePlate™ design. Mitek™ will design to deflection specificiations which are more in line with masonry than with wood shear walls. It is a stiffer system that I think works well in Masonry design conditions.

Please let me know if you receive this e-mail but do not see it posted on the SEAINT List.

Regards,

Dennis