Re: existing wood floor joist bending stress

Roger is right. The behavioral equations changed in 1991 when the design
values changed. Here's a link to more background information on In-grade
testing and the changes that occurred in 1991:

http://www.awc.org/HelpOutreach/faq/FAQfiles/In-Grade_Testing.html

The last paragraph states: "Note that concurrent with development of new
design values in the 1991 NDS, behavioral equations for column, beam, and
beam-column design also changed as a result of the In-Grade Testing program.
Therefore, an advisory was issued with the 1991 NDS indicating that new
design values were to be used simultaneously with new design equations and
pre-1991 design values be used with pre-1991 design equations."

Wrt evaluation of existing structures, I'm not aware of a "national
standard" that governs how it should be done. Each jurisdiction has it's own
requirements. Evaluation, Maintenance and Upgrading of Wood Structures
(ASCE) has a write-up on different building rehab regulations, but it's
dated. My suggestion to Joseph Eribarne was to evaluate it based on the
original stresses, then evaluate it based on current stresses, then use
engineering judgement based on knowledge of safety factors both on the loads
side and the resistance side.

Which reminds me, Joseph E., I forgot to suggest that you take a look at the
design using LRFD. If there are multiple transient live loads, then
typically the load factoring alone will provide some efficiencies in your
design.

Here's a link to a few more resources on evaluation of exising structures
for those of you interested in exploring this further:

http://www.awc.org/HelpOutreach/faq/FAQfiles/Wood_Repair.html

HTH

Buddy

John "Buddy" Showalter, P.E.
Director, Technical Media
AF&PA/American Wood Council
1111 19th Street, NW, Suite 800
Washington, DC 20036
P: 202-463-2769
F: 202-463-2791
http://www.awc.org

The American Wood Council (AWC) is the wood products division of the
American Forest & Paper Association (AF&PA). AWC develops internationally
recognized standards for wood design and construction. Its efforts with
building codes and standards, engineering and research, and technology
transfer ensure proper application for engineered and traditional wood
products.

The guidance provided herein is not a formal interpretation of any AF&PA
standard.  Interpretations of AF&PA standards are only available through a
formal process outlined in AF&PA's standards development procedures.